Monday, November 23, 2009

The Swell Season - Strict Joy

The Swell Season's Oscar winning song "Falling Slowly" is one of the more beautiful love songs I've had the pleasure of listening to while staring dreamily out a rain sluiced car window. It's been a while since I've listened to this song, but that is at it should be. I've overplayed too many songs I find beautiful and emotionally compelling, and they lose their impact for when they might be more needed. "Falling Slowly" is not currently loaded onto my I-tunes and I think I shall leave it that way until the song becomes a situational necessity. If you are not familiar with this song, download it at once.

I was aware this album had come out and meant to purchase it during my next music supplementing visit to Easy Street Records. Before that happened, I chanced to hear an interview on NPR that increased my interest in this album, not just because they played excerpts from some lovely songs, but because the interview included some painfully intimate moments from Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova. The brief story of their relationship is that they both starred in the poignant musical "Once". They had a relationship, it died, they continued on to make their second album.

The part I remember most from this interview was a moment where the interviewer asked Glen who these songs were about - clearly expecting him to name Marketa, which he did. Marketa exclaimed that she didn't know that. I believe that we are all voyeurs, and generally I think we feel secretly ashamed of this and often, unable to control it. However, during this interview, I felt priveledged to be a rubbernecker to someone's emotional hurt. Both Glen and Marketa opened themselves up frankly and without rancour during the interview, and I felt that it was their choice to let us in so that their art was better understood. I recommend going to the NPR website, where you can listen to this revealing interview (not salaciously revealing, but one of those wonderful moments that make you feel that you are allowed into a talented person's emotional landscape and it opens the music and it's meaning to you...sort of like a drop of water opening up a scotch in a way that enhances the flavor of the scotch to a better understanding of its complexities. Heh. Whatever. Maybe that's a dumb analogy.)

Either way, this is a beautiful, low key album. I recommend it, back story or no.

No comments: